Thursday, March 3, 2011

Cheese Blitz

I got this recipe from my Aunt Launa a long time ago, but I never made them.  I make chicken enchiladas the other night (I'll save that recipe for another day) and thought it would be fun to have these Blitz things for dessert. (I remember her telling me they tasted like churros)

They were pretty easy to make, and I thought it might be fun if you had little kids, then they could help remove the crusts and smash the bread!

1 loaf white bread, crusts removed, and slices flattened as thin as possible
3/4 c. melted butter
1 c. brown sugar
1 TBS. cinnamon
2-8oz. packages cream cheese, softened
2 egg yolks
1/4 c. sugar

Cream the softened creamed cheese, egg yolks and sugar together.  In a separate bowl mix together the brown sugar and the cinnamon.

Spread the cream cheese mixture on the flattened bread.  Roll the bread into a tight roll.  Dip in butter, then coat with brown sugar mixture.  Place on baking sheet. 

Once you've done that with all the slices, bake at 400 degrees for 10-13 minutes.

No comments: