Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Pork Carnitas



This is the first time I have posted a recipe, although I do have a few that I wanted to post. Tacy found this recipe in a magazine so I tried it for dinner on Sunday. We all loved it...even Durell who doesn't really care for cilantro. It is very easy to put together and it just cooked while we were in church.
Pork Carnitas
2 lbs. pork loin, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
(I didn't cut it in 1-inch pieces, I just cut the loin into about 4-5 chunks)
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup cilantro leaves, plus 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 large onion, chopped
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp. orange zest
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (I didn't have these so I left it out)
1 can low-sodium chicken broth (I used regular broth)
zest and juice of one lime
1 pkg. soft corn tortillas
lettuce, sour cream, salsa (optional)

1. Combine pork, garlic, 1/3 cup cilantro leaves, onion, oregano, orange zest, salt and red pepper flakes in slow cooker. Pour broth over top. Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 hours or LOW for 6 hours (I cooked mine on LOW for 8 hours because of the larger pieces).
2. Remove pork from slow cooker using a slotted spoon . Let cool slightly, then shred meat. Mix shredded pork with 1/4 cup cilantro, lime zest & juice, and 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid. Serve in warm tortillas with lettuce, sour cream and salsa, if desired.
PER TACO: 204 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat.); 22 g protein; 16 g carbohydrate; 3 g fiber

4 comments:

Katy Wilson said...

Oh look at you fancy with your calorie count and such!!! And I'm SO EXCITED you posted on here! Now you need to make this a goal to do once or twice a week...cause I usually think of something of yours I want to make but dont' have the recipe and am too lazy to call and get it!

Kathy N said...

yay! mom posted a post!
ok...so I sat over her shoulder and helped her do it, but yay! anyway

plus these were AWESOME!

tacy said...

Crapola! That was Tacy N, not Kathy N

tacy said...

Good job posting! They were really really tasty! This is Jessie im to lazy to sign Tacy out.