Tuesday, January 4, 2011

French Bread

This is my go to white bread recipe. I use it for pizza crust, bread bowls, and french bread. It's super easy if you have a kitchen-aid.

1/2 cup warm water
3 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp yeast
1 Tbsp salt
5 Tbsp oil
2 cup hot water
6 cups flour

Dissolve salt, yeast, and sugar in the 1/2 cup of warm water. Add 3 cups of the flour and the oil and hot water. Mix then add the remaining 3 cups of flour. Knead and let it rest for 10 minutes. Repeat that 5 times (knead and rest for 10 minutes. Sometimes when I'm in a hurry I only let it rest for about 3 minutes, but still do it 5 times. The bread will still turn out, but it will be more dense).

Form into 3 or 4 bread loaves (or bread bowls) and let it rise for about 20 minutes. Slash the top with a serrated knife (/// for loaves and in an X for bowls). Bake at 375 for 15 minutes (note: If you make your loaves bigger, the might take longer to bake.) I usually freeze this bread, then when I need a loaf of bread, I just pull it out, let it thaw then stick it in to over to warm up before we eat.

No comments: