Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Chicken Corn Chowder

I've been craving soup in a breadbowl lately.  So the other day I made a bunch of breadbowls from Rhodes dough in preparation to make soup sometime this week.  I found what looked to be a really good Chicken Corn Chowder recipe at http://www.melskitchencafe.com/ ...so I tried it last night and it was a lot better than I though it would be.  Not that I doubted the recipe, just my skills as a cook.  There was a little bit of prep...just getting the stuff cut up...but I did that all while Bryan cooked the chicken on the grill for me.  Also, I didn't let it simmer for quite long enough...so after it's all mixed toghter...let it simmer for at least 20 or so minutes so everything blends together.  It was still yummy though without simmering!!  Really nice flavor!

Here you go...

2 TBS EVOO
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, finely chopped (I omitted this cause we didn't have one and it was fine!)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 jalapeno, finely chopped, seeds and membrane removed (only adds flavor, no heat whatsoever)
1/4 c. thinly sliced or cooked chopped ham (I just chopped up some lunchmeat we had)
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cans (14 oz) chicken broth (I just headed up 28 oz. of water and added boullion cubes)
3 TBS flour
1 1/2 c. frozen corn (I acutally used like 2 cups cause that is what my steampack had in it and Daron didn't  want to waste it)
2 large chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
4 oz. softened cream cheese (almost melted so it doesn't get lumpy when you add it to the milk)
1 c. milk
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese

Saute celery, pepper, onions, jalapeno in olive oil in a large pot until tender.  Add the garlic and ham and cook for a few more minutes.  Whisk the flour into the broth in a sperate bowl then add to soup.  Stir in the corn and chicken.  Bring to a low boil and reduce heat.  Whisk together cream cheese and milk in a bowl until smooth, then add into the soup as well as the salt, pepper and cheese.  Simmer on low until ready to serve.

Like I said, there was some prep to this soup...but it was REALLY GOOD, especially in the bread bowl!!

1 comment:

Jessie said...

I made this and it was YUMMY!